November 3, 2008

UPDATE : 2008 Anthology of Roleplaying Game Blogs

Progress on the upcoming Anthology continues. I'm happy to report that as of today we have received 50 nominations for blog posts and 30 submitted surveys! Thank you!

So, things are really looking good in my opinion. While the initial rush of submissions has for the most part dropped to trickle, I expect things to pick up as we get closer to the December 1st deadline for nominations.

In the meantime, I've been spreading the word about the anthology via gaming forums and direct email - although the moderators at WotC have deleted my posts about it twice, and I still have yet to hear back from Morus at EnWorld. It seems, some people don't like the idea or don't care to support it. Meh... that's OK with me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I will press on and continue to push things forward as best as I can. I believe in this project and I'm looking forward to carrying it through.

If you share even a small part of my conviction - then please submit a RPG blog's post for nomination today! Also, let me know what you want to see in the final product by filling out our survey. Both forms have the option to be completely anonymous - should you choose to be. However, with each nomination and completed survey you send in, you have the option to also participate in a drawing for a free copy of the Anthology once it is published. It's your choice!

In the next few weeks, I'll be ramping up a call for support & volunteers to help with all the various aspects of putting this Anthology together. Anyone who is interested in helping - even if it is in the form of commentary or support via your own blog - should join Open Game Table, a working group that I set up via Google Groups. An incomplete list of things that will need to be addressed in the future include:
  1. How to properly "market" this Anthology before and after it is published?
  2. How to protect myself and the bloggers who are contributing to the Anthology legally from license, copyright, and trademark infringement?
  3. What the design/layout (page by page) will look like?
  4. Will there be a logo, and what will it look like? (Any volunteers?)
  5. What will the cover art for the Anthology look like? It is possible to get a good artist to donate their work?
  6. How many pages will it be? production costs vs. length..
  7. How many editors/reviewers will be needed for a fair review of all the submitted entries?
If you want to get involved, any help you can lend is deeply appreciated. The easiest way for you to help, and the #1 priority at the moment, is by nominating someone's work for inclusion into the Anthology. Only by assembly a large body of nominations that really exemplify the best in RPG blogging will we be able to produce a book that grabs the reader's attention and, ultimately, expands our long-term reader base. Bridging the gap between the RPG blogger's community and the rest of Gamerdome - that's what we aim to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

By submitting your comment below, you agree to the blog's Terms of Service.