Also, the inset quote to the above motivational is from a comment left by Jeff Reints... somewhere; don't remember where. I think the link it in the above article by Chad Perrin.
But why? Why? Why did they do it?
Here's why -
- Sales of the printed 4th Edition D&D books have been flat and not met sales expectations, despite being on the Top 20 best selling lists for several newspapers
- Wizards of the Coast wants to start selling the books exclusively on Amazon's Kindle - where piracy can be limited (ummm.. no?)
- Hasbro has decided it needs to pull all the extended media sales arms of D&D back before it sells the entire brand off to another game company.
- Virus infected copies of the D&D PDFs were being sold and circulated.
- WotC has declared war on old school D&D!
- DDI sales / subscription have fallen flat and PDF sales by third party sites is the reason.WotC is planning on selling all the PDF versions of the books through their DDI store.
- The Board of Directors at WotC is a collective hive-mind of cock roaches.
- The legal and marketing department of WotC is so out of touch with the new reality of digital publishing that they thought they could improve book sales by stopping sales of PDFs. Durrrrr...
- Hasbro is controlled by a collective - known by companies insiders only as The Swarm. Why this is a reason for pulling PDF is beyond me...
- Leave a comment and place your bets!